Tuesday, April 24, 2007

For my Kristy



In a Yahoo group we are on there has been a thread going on regarding friendships, relationships and such with 'disabled' people and 'able-bodied' people. This is what I wrote about my Kristy. By the way, Kristy and our furrbaby Tucker is who is in the picture. Isn't she gorgeous!?!?

**************



I thought I would add this little perspective of mine...



I am in love with a woman who was born with a severe form of spina bifida. She has had 43 surgeries and has many scars. Obviously, she has many physical things going on with her body as a result of her birth defect. The bodily functions that happen with her body cause her some distress and there have been countless people in her life that have shunned her or ridiculed her for being 'gross' or 'different' or 'unclean' etc. She even had her own mother tell her those things. Certainly, not to mention the women that were 'supposed' to love her. ARGH!



I met her last year and knew I had met my match, so to speak. LOL! She is the most amazing human being I have ever known in my entire life. I love her more than the air I breathe.



Anyway, I digress.



When she had a bathroom accident one day she got very frustrated and was crying and saying things like, 'I am 29 frickin' years old and I am still peeing my pants, etc.' I moved her wheelchair out of the way and gently put my hands on her face and kissed her and then told her that she was created by the Goddess and that she was created perfectly. The Goddess makes NO mistakes. She was perfection incarnate. I tell her that daily as I help her through her day, regardless of what may happen during the course of the day. She is, without question by me, perfection in every physical aspect. There are NO defects in my eyes. I see nothing but beauty and power and strength.



Yes, she will continue to have physical battles as a result of the SB. Yes, she will have countless numbers of bathroom accidents (if you want to even call it that, I do not). Yes, she may or may not have more surgeries. But, regardless of any of that, I am her partner in life. I am her lover. I am her wife. I am her best friend. Nothing that can happen to her physical body will ever change that.



If depression comes, I will stand by her. If illness comes, I will stand by her. When there is no more life in this sphere for her, I will stand by her. Forever and always.

No comments: